“Traceability had led us to this point where suddenly the rain mattered – there were beautiful red berries at stake, and the tastiest honey I’d ever put on my tongue. Distance is the enemy of awareness.
And there I sat, separating mouse shit from wheat berries with a credit card.”
-J.B. MacKinnon, The 100 Mile Diet: A Year of Local Eating
The traceability of my trip, now somewhat fleshed out in a journal and this blog is important to me. I am grateful to be able to see where I’ve gone and have written down some thoughts and experiences that I may have forgotten already. But the reality is that taking pictures and writing things down consistently takes away from the moments I could just simply enjoy. For example, I’m in San Diego right now hunched over a computer (although in an incredible spot, with a koi pond and waterfall right in front of me), I would rather be walking around the city and parks.
Well, I made it. Safely, happily, no pain, no regrets. Now I have this blog and hundreds of pictures to remind me of the experience!
Now that I’m on the other side, I want to share the first entry of my journal. It’s not dated, but I guess it was written in late June, 2.5 months before leaving.
“I think I decided today that I want to ride cross-country on my bike. I feel nervous, giddy, and anxious. Most likely, I am physically capable…Actually I totally am!
I’m anxious about money, what my dad will think, and coming back to work.
I can’t help but think of taking off and doing amazing things. But also there is so much going for me in Blacksburg. But I need to give leaving a shot. IDK!
Dream, Plan, Dream, Plan
Just do it
There’s hardly any reason not to!
Adventure = Life = Happiness”
I’m glad I did.
Apache Junction, AZ -> San Diego, CA = 452 miles
“Riding days average” = 56.5 miles/day
- 12/1: Apache Junction, AZ -> Phoenix (David S. Warmshowers) = 30 miles
- 12/2: Phoenix -> Wickenburg, AZ (Aztec RV Park) = 62 miles
- 12/3: Wickenburg, AZ -> Wenden, AZ (Behind general store) = 49 milesI don’t usually ride like this
- 12/4: Wenden, AZ -> Blythe, CA (Hampton Inn) = 71 miles
- 12/5: Blythe, CA -> Brawley, CA (random house on Green Rd.) = 77 miles
- 12/6: Brawley, CA -> Ocotillo, CA (Red Feather restaurant) = 53 miles
- 12/7: Ocotillo, CA -> Pine Valley, CA (Lindsay and Jessie’s house) = 48 miles
- 12/8: Pine Valley, CA -> San Diego, CA = 62 miles